Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kumbakonam Temples

The intent of this blog is to provide as many photos as possible with some details that I felt could be useful or unique. Enormous amount of info is available on all these places on the internet.

I found this site to be quite informative: http://kumbakonam.info/cityscape/ and used it to decide on the temples to visit. I chose the places that are ancient,big and relatively less congested around Kumbakonam.

All the ones I chose provided ample photographic opportunity. I believe in 'One photo is worth million words'.So concentrated on sharing as many number of photos as possible. All temples are good and each has some specialty. But some temples create lasting impression in our mind and it varies from person to person. Photos will help identify the ones that suit one's taste.

Dates of visit - 28th Sep to 1 Oct 2010.
The temples that I visited in Kumbakonam itself are Sarngapani Temple, Ramaswamy Temple,Kumbheswarar.

The other places/Temples will be  covered in separate blogs soon...! I hope to do it over this week end...!

 They are:
 Darasuram  ( Wonderful architecture and carvings...!)
 Swamimalai
 Thiruvalnchuzhi (Out of the world & Expansive...!)
 Patteeswaram
 Thiruvidaimarudhur (Big & Ancient)
 Konerirajapuram (A long pending trip of mine...has the world's largest Nataraja statue...!)
 Thiruvisainallur 
 Thirunageswaram
 Oppiliappan temple
 Nachiar Koil ( Found this temple very special..!)
 Thirucherai ( Fantastic Statue...and a divine looking Bow..)
 Thirukkannamangai 
          ( Recently re-consecrated...Kumbhabishekam..Bright and beautiful..!)
 Thiruvarur
 Tanjore Big temple ( Should I tell anything about this at all...!)

    They say every other street will show up a Kumbham (kept on top of the Temple Gopuram) and hence the name for the place...! How true it is...!

    <

    Metal idols is one of the primary industries in Kumbakonam
    This , I snapped at a roadside shop



    Huge temple and  Deity.  The deity resembl
    es Srirangam Ranganathar, lying posture-lengthier than Ranganathar..! 

    This Ramar temple houses exquisite carvings on the granite pillars at the entrance mandapam of the temple. Each of the carving is a treat to watch...See for yourself..! 
    The whole ramayana is painted on the walls of the corridor.. Great looking paintings...!


    This is also a huge temple. I liked the elephant in this temple... an enterprising one.. I had the opportunity of seeing it drinking water from the tap.. I clicked a few snaps and took a short video... Will upload the video to youtube and update this blog.. you can view the photos here..!





    Videos Kumbeswarar Temple
    Don't miss the third video in this play list...!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sridharan9999?feature=mhum#p/c/8D8BB9650E92CC8A/0/CJQAherg1sE










    10 comments:

    1. Is this the Ramar swamy temple right inside the town? I saw one at Boothankudi Tirupullani. I would like to add this also in my list.

      ReplyDelete
    2. These photos resemble Darasuram temple. Is there any mix up or are they looking similar?

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oops .. I did not post the photos.. I've updated the blog now..

      Ramaswamy temple is near Sarangapani and Kumbeswarar temple and is within Kumbakonam..

      Photos are allowed in Ramaswamy temple..Buy the ticket (Rs25, I guess) at the office at the entrance.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Sridhar,
      I have seen Sarangapani and Adi Kumbeshwar temples. Yet to see Ramar temple. Shall be visiting again. It is still fresh in my memory. Was there last month.
      Just a question why there is so much gap between the text and the slide shows.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I cant get away with those white spaces... I have given up.. I will have to recreate this blog..that I will do later.. Blogger is not all that robust.. Google acquired it and not its original product..
      I dont like it at all...!
      I am also not able to change the avatar that appear against my comments.. do you know how to do it... my profile contains my photo... but it does not appear here..

      ReplyDelete
    6. I guess, I've solved the problem. It looks ok now.

      ReplyDelete
    7. just to test if my photo appears ok

      ReplyDelete
    8. Chitra
      You will like the Ramaswamy temple and the carvings on the pillars of the mandapam at the entrance. Exquisite and a must for anyone interested in stone carvings...!
      Please take a look at the videos to get an idea of how good the sculpting is ...

      ReplyDelete
    9. Sridhar, The Ramar temple is fabulous with its exquisite carvings. Shall be visiting soon. Good you could solve the problem regding your profile pic. I have to see 2-3 videos, hence came back.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Glad you are liking the videos too.
      I also liked the Chitra Ramayanam on the walls of the temple..It is an added attraction there.

      ReplyDelete

    Your comments are more important to me than even my post..! I appreciate your time & Thank you..