Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mysore and around Part 13 Somnathpur





Date of Visit : 12-Feb-2011

Somnathpur is at 35kms from Mysore.This yet another Hoysala marvel was built in 1268CE by the Hoysala Commander Somnath after whom is the temple and the village named. The temple is in the care of theArcheological Survey of India as a protected heritage site. The architecture and carvings here are reminiscent of Halebid.


For more details consult wikipedia.
I almost skipped this temple due to paucity of time and lack of energy with my fellow travelers.. Whom I goaded into making a whirlwind stop over at Somnathpur on our return from Belur.. I am glad I did so! Wonderful temple..worth visiting once again..! 


Let's take a virtual tour.


He can't be out of action even for a minute..!







Some repair work by ASI is still happening

Sculpting by invaders!

Reminiscent of Halebidu



















Believe me this is not Halebid.!






















The interior too is reminiscent of Halebid.!








I am running out of adjectives to praise the Amazing & Awesome Hoysala Architecuture...

The whole set of PHOTOS


If you want to watch the above PHOTOS as a musical slideshow, here it is..!


VIDEO CLIPS

<< PREV              << FIRST>>                 NEXT >>